Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Grandma's ways


This spread on Thank You cards in the November issue of House Beautiful immediately made me think of my Grandmother. Her name was Gunnel and I remember her as a Lady in every sense of the word. When I was a child, I often watched her sit down by this beautiful old, blue and white secretary that stood in her bedroom. Next she would pull out the top drawer and produce a pretty, printed card on which she would write a note of thanks to someone for a dinner-party here, a luncheon there. After she finished, we took the short walk down the village, stopped by the Post Office for stamps and that obligatory chat with the woman in the window. We'd then put the letter in the box, pick up a bag of "granny-candy" (you know, the multi- coloured bonbon kind?) from the shop and typically finish it before even reaching the house...
A lovely tradition really. And isn't it a shame when you think that all the little stages of such a simple action; the pretty card, the pen, the walk, the stamps, the chat...are completely lost when you shoot off that quick e-mail instead? Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on a gorgeous set of cards like one of those above, sit down (my kitchen table will have to suffice as - unlike my Grandmother - I don't have a beautiful secretary in my bedroom) and hand-write my next Thank You to someone special...

1 comment:

Peggy Olcott said...

you are so right - I've tucked so many cards away, but how could I tuck away that e-card? And it does require some pre-thinking to choose just the right card for that person... thanks for the important reminder!

Related Posts with Thumbnails