Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Christmas L.A. style



Despite the ceaseless sunshine, swaying palm trees and unusually warm weather (even by L.A. standards), I am currently determined to get in the Christmas groove. This has always been my absolute favourite time of the year and I go all out playing the music, watching the movies (It's a wonderful life anyone?), decorating, thinking of the gifts and the food and the tree as soon as it's reasonably sane to do so. Because for me, Christmas is all about tradition, atmosphere and wonderful memories and I'm overwhelmed by a warm, fuzzy sense of undiluted happiness as soon as December sets in...

Normally, Sean and I go to my mom's in Sweden to celebrate with my extended family (and it should be admitted, also to be that little bit closer to the North Pole...)
But this year, we decided to take it easy and stay in L.A., and even though I know I'll miss many of the elements that always make going back so special (my brother, my aunts, uncles and cousins, the cold weather, my mom's beautiful house...), I'm actually looking forward to planning our own Christmas for once... I'm very exited about getting a tree of course, and trying my hand at some of our family recipes in my own kitchen should be fun (before you judge me, know that I've lived abroad for 10 years and usually go home for the entire holiday...) I also love to think that these efforts will be extra meaningful, as in a complete role reversal, I get to play hostess to my mom when she flies in on the 25Th to spend a couple of weeks with us. (Preventing me from feeling too, too homesick on Christmas day :)

Anyhow, to kick things off last Sunday (1st of Advent), I went on an inspirational quest to the part of this town where they do Christmas best. - And where's that, you ask? ... "Rodeo Drive, baby."



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails