Monday, January 11, 2010

An Artful New Year

Charles Burchfield September C.jpg (72627 bytes) 
September Wind and Rain, Charles Burchfield 1949

"The most famous unknown artist in America" is how Vogue cleverly described mid-century painter and wallpaper designer Charles Burchfield last November. The minute I glimpsed an example of his work in the magazine I new I had to see more. To my delight, the article announced the upcoming Heat Waves in a Swamp - an exhibition displaying the artist's best creations chronologically at a museum literally up the road from where we live. I promptly decided that this exhibit would serve as the perfect launch pad for my 'Year of Art' (coincidentally, one of my new years resolutions for 2010 is to make an effort to experience more 'live' art;  be it music, fashion, theatre or in it's most classical form - paintings). So on Saturday the 2nd, I brought my mom and husband to the Hammer to kick things off in style. We went after dark, which was wonderful and only heightened the experience...
Charles Burchfield, what a find - we marvelled at his incredibly cool, whimsical, imaginative style and the exquisite colour scheme of each painting.  It's been a long while since I've felt this wowed and inspired... Pure artistic pleasure.

Heat Waves in a Swamp at the Hammer Museum is now closed, but will re-open at the Whitney in New York this summer. To read more about Burchfield, see pictures and order books, visit: http://www.hammer.ucla.edu%20(click/. (Click on "exhibitions" then "past exhibitions")

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails