Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Beauty on a Tuesday: Cleansing Oils


So have you ever tried cleansing your skin with oil? (If Yes, this post might prove boring to you :) If No, read on...

Oil as a topical treatment often gets a bad rep; if you've got an oily complexion already, the last thing you {probably} want to do is adding more "grease", right? However, many experts believe that using a quality oil can be one of the most effective yet gentle ways to deep cleanse your skin. Regular soaps and face washes often work to remove skins natural oil barrier, and it reacts by producing excess oil to protect itself, which can lead to a shiny T-zone, enlarged pores, or acne.

The main benefit of using a cleansing oil is believed to be that skin feels "fed" {and thus does not need to overproduce oil}. And because of its consistency, oil also has the unique ability to sink deep into pores, ridding them of dirt and build up, leaving you with a clear, well balanced complexion.

When washing with an oil, the technique required is a little different, but most brands come with instructions on the packaging that are easy to follow. The ones I have tried have all looked something like this:

Massage the oil all over face and neck. Add a warm washcloth and press for a few seconds {to open pores}. Repeat, then close pores by pressing a cold washcloth to face.

I have found this little evening routine to be very relaxing , and I like that most face oils serve as a "one step solution" (no makeup remover necessary). Right now I am loving Shu Uemura's Skin Purifying Beauty Oil. This product was invented by the brand's founder some sixty years ago and early devotees are said to have included Marilyn Monroe and Liz Taylor... And if it was good enough for them... :)

Other good options could be Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil, Lancome Huile Douceur, or Bobbi Brown Cleansing Oil . You might also want to check out the award winning Eve Lom Cleanser (which has had a cult following in Europe for years.) This product is strictly speaking not an oil, but the usage /effect of the "balm" is very similar.

3 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Uhhh...I like that post very much! I use all natural cosmetics and I am fascinated with your post!
I use Lush (British natural cosmetic company) and they use pure oil too...It is a great thing!
I have to give a try to the Shu Uemura's Skin Purifying Beauty Oil you recommended.
Thanks so much:)
Kisses

The Zhush said...

I adore She Uemura's products, although I have never heard of this cleansing oil...I think now that I will have to check this out...Thanks!

Marianne Wilson said...

Hi Emelie

I have been eyeing up these face oils for a while. Now I think I will finally give it a go!
Thank you!

Marianne

Related Posts with Thumbnails