Friday, June 11, 2010

A Jacaranda Tree


{The tree in the photo grows at the corner of our street}.

L.A. is extra beautiful this time of year thanks to all the Jacaranda trees that line the streets. For a few weeks in June the city is positively awash with lilac blossoms, and I love it. 




I usually don't have the patience for poems, but I found this and thought it was pretty...


A Jacaranda Tree.

A Jacaranda tree stands tall, and sways as if to say,
Look! At this magnificence, I’m wearing blue today.
forgive the way I shout aloud, my lack of modesty,
but nowhere in this troubled world is finery like me.

Light rays slide between each leaf, to settle on the tips
to lightly kiss your face with a hundred million tiny lips.
You only have to lift your eyes to greet the filtered sun
a sight I guarantee will warm the heart of everyone.

Though very tall, my leaf is small, its form is one of fern,
large panicles of bluebells swell to trumpet unconcern.
A Bee collecting nectar from an ample deep white throat,
takes flight to join its family, and of its feast to gloat.

Look up to see each fern like leaf, floating up on high,
like footprints of a centipede that stroll across the sky
See how far my branches reach, admire their greenery,
I am beautiful and strong, I am the Jacaranda tree.

Anne Beard

7 comments:

Tricia Rose said...

They don't seem to flourish in San Francisco, and I miss them from my childhood in Australia. Do you have jacaranda parties in L.A. the way they do in Sydney?

Diana Mieczan said...

So beautiful and I love them too:) Have a fun and sunny weekend:)
Muah

Kerri said...

i don't know about those trees, but they sure are pretty? are they fragrant?

Emelie - C'est LA vie said...

No jacaranda parties in L.A. that I know of Tricia, but that's a lovely idea...

Kerry, no I don't believe they have a particular scent.

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Bonjour Emelie, I'm back from my break and would like to thank you for your absolutely lovely comment on my blog while I was away :-) That tree looks gorgeous and I can only imagine what it must look like to have streets lined with them...stunning. Love from London x

shari @ little blue deer said...

Oh, they're lovely, you know, this is kind of silly, but I've read about them but I don't think I've ever actually seen one! Nice! Hope you had a fabulous birthday, girl, you are so deserving of it!

C'est La Vie said...

When I lived in La Mirada we had a Jacaranda tree right in the front yard. I loved it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails