Thursday, July 01, 2010

Dreaming of...


Alfresco dining.

{Image via House Beautiful}

It's July and I think we can all agree that summer is in full swing. (Though the overcast and slightly chilly weather here in L.A. leaves much to be desired.) One of the best things about this season -to me- is that you can have all your meals outdoors. Had I the space in the picture above, I believe I would spend most of my time right there, taking in the beauty around me, drinking, chatting and munching away...  What bliss.

...But alas, we live in an apartment with only a small terrace which barely fits a table and two chairs, so Sean and I do a lot of picnicking. We bought this great basket/cooler that came with table ware, stemmed wine glasses, bottle opener and a green and white checkered "table" cloth with matching dinner napkins. (A well set table is always so much nicer, whether inside or out :) If we're feeling lazy, we typically stop at Whole Foods on our way to wherever we're going, for sandwiches and salads. But on more organized and inspired days, I like to make a chicken salad from scratch. This is a recipe I sort of make up as I go (depending on what's in the fridge at that moment) and I encourage you to do the same. The only important part is the dressing (and that the salad contains chicken and at least one type of fruit for sweetness). The measurements are approximate and can be varied to taste.


Emelie's Summer Picnic Chicken Salad

Chopped pieces of chicken ( from 1 breast or leftover roasted chicken)

1 small apple, diced

10-20 grapes cut in halves

2 celery stems, sliced

1 handful chopped walnuts (or almonds)

1 handful dried cranberries

Dressing

4 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream (or creme fraiche)
11/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (tasty but not necessary)
2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste.

Toss the salad with the dressing until it's completely coated. Chill.
Tastes great on sourdough with a side of vinegar sprinkled rocket (arugula)
and a glass of Rose. Serves two.


{Image via TOAST}

6 comments:

shari @ little blue deer said...

Oh, I want to come picnic with you! I'm impressed that you use your picnic kit, that would be the kind of thing I would buy and then never, ever use! XO!

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds so good.. all three of us can go for a picnic:) I am planning one this weekend.)

Kisses darling and enjoy your day:)

Emelie - C'est LA vie said...

Oh you ladies are so sweet - If only we all lived closer!

Kerri said...

oh, that picture is pretty- i WISH my backyard had a dining area like that and no matter how bad the mosquitos, i would eat out there each night. (but i would stink of OFF!)

i wish there was a way to make chick salad w/o mayonaisse. is there any substitute??

Indie.Tea said...

The picnic basket of yours sounds adorable. There's a place in Berkeley (CA) called Summer Kitchen that makes things to pack for picnics: fried chicken, exotic salads, sandwiches...
Your chicken salad sounds yummy.

Cara said...

Oh I would love to make this for a picnic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails