Friday, January 21, 2011

I am Emelie. But you can call me Oscar

...No baby yet. In case you were wondering. :) But at almost 37 weeks, we're getting very close (thank the Lord!) At this point, doing anything even remotely physical is difficult for me. I'm so uncomfortable most of the time that I feel like I am 31 going on 93, especially since I developed a sort of "pregnancy related" foot injury (nothing serious, just an inflamed tendril that apparently will heal itself after the delivery) but it makes it really painful to drive or even walk: My previous penguin-esque waddle now has the lovely addition of a limp... You think I'm exaggerating? Well, to put this in some perspective let me tell you a little anecdote from the other day: Having slowly, slowly hobbled my way up the street towards an appointment with a podiatrist(!), (who incidentally told me that in her opinion no woman should have to be pregnant after 36 weeks. Amen to that.) I stood waiting for the green light at a crossing when a wheelchair rolled up right next to me. In it, an elderly lady with those extremely thick eye glasses you'd think would be obsolete by now, turned her face up towards mine and asked if  perhaps I too was on the lookout for "The Access"? ..."Uhmm, The Access"? I queried, slightly confused. "Yes", she exclaimed,  "you know, the shuttle for us disabled people!" ... 

To quote one of my fave Seinfeld episodes: "Not that there is anything wrong with it."
...Of course. (But still!)

So, even though I like to think that one of my better qualities is the ability to find joy and beauty "in the little things", I admit that these past few weeks I have had to try a lot harder than normal; I am one grumpy girl lately. (Just ask my husband)  ...But all is not lost and there is still hope for me and him (not to mention the poor baby!) because the other week, on one of those L.A. days that tend to come around in January, when the weather is exquisite, the air crisp and the ocean takes on a gorgeous, deep shade of blue and the mountains come out in full view, free of fog (or smog?) - On a Sunday like that, I spotted this in Santa Monica:


Something heart achingly ethereal about a single surviving winter rose.
{Private Image}


It was all just so perfectly perfect that I (actually) smiled the entire way home...




Oscar the Grouch.
{Image via Muppet Wiki}


6 comments:

Liz said...

Hang in there sweet Mama - the day will come and we are thinking of you every day until then! xoxo Liz

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

That story made me laugh...though I know I shouldn't laugh about the disabled... ;-) Thanks for sharing that one. I know what you mean about smiling about the little things, it happened to me the other day when I heard a bird sing first thing in the morning... Not long to go now, I'd say enjoy the peaceful nights while you can ;-) Love from London xo

Diana Mieczan said...

That is a good story and the lady is so funny! I hope your foot will do better soon and I cant wait to see photos of your baby...Soon soon:) Take care,sweetie and see you soon

Kerri said...

hang in there--- i can't imagine. i've never been in your "condition" but have seen many a friend that way! so exciting!!

drollgirl said...

lol! oh you! poor you! i cannot imagine what you are going through! but you seem like a strong woman, and this dang pregnancy will finally be over one day, and you will be a good mama!

may more roses and less trash cans enter your life soon! :)

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

...Is it there yet? :-D xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails