Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My fan club, Weekend and a Trip down memory lane (or: One REALLY long blog post)

It's been several years now since I last performed anything on stage (or on screen for that matter). In fact, enough time has past, that in my more self doubting moments you might think I'd consider myself a so called "has-been"... Not so!  - Because here, in my very own home, I have an exceptionally captive audience who follow my every move daily and with the utmost interest and attention. What they may lack in size they make up for in cuteness, and their sheer devotion during even the most mundane moments is enough to make anyone feel like a star...


Earlier today, as I was brushing my teeth. :)


 Soo, I hope your weekend was good and that the week started out well?

...As for my weekend; it began early on Friday afternoon with a lovely visit from our Seattle based friends the O'Mahony's who were in town for an event. It had been a long time since we saw Ronan and Heather last and it was really good to catch up over some coffee (and chat about our babies!:) Saturday Sean and I had an "errand day" when, among other things, we got Noah's first passport photos done. Not shockingly, they came out pretty badly which, in a weird way actually make them seem more legit. (What is it with ID photos that they almost never look good, no matter how sweet the object?!) ...



See what I mean!?



...Then on Sunday we celebrated my birthday and also the one year anniversary of finding out about Noah. 

I had felt sort of "odd" for a few days but hadn't really clocked what it might be until that evening on the 11th. I told Sean that I suspected something might be up and we joked about what an awesome gift it would be  to realise I was pregnant on the eve of my birthday. A few hours later we were so excited by the possibility that Sean drove to the pharmacy to get a pregnancy test, but when he got back we read on the box that for the most accurate result it had to be "administered" in the morning. Disappointed (patience was never my strong suit) and anxious, I hardly slept at all and was (rather uncharacteristically) up at the crack of dawn. Staring at the 'done' test I saw two undeniably clear lines and promptly got Sean out of bed by shrieking from the bathroom "come look, come look, come look"! We had already planned on spending the day in Ojai, which - for those of you who don't know it - is a historic old town nestled in the mountains just east of Santa Barbara: We had a gorgeous day there, it was such a perfect place to let the amazing news soak in... At dinner that night, I remember feeling very special declining wine, demurely saying "No thank you" to the waiter, adding "I'm pregnant".  (Note: The "special" feeling of turning down wine, waned rather quickly after that, turning at first into mild frustration, then - towards the end of the third trimester, into sheer desperation...(!)


This year I woke much later to the sounds and sights of my husband singing Happy Birthday (in Swedish!)whilst carrying a breakfast tray, and the sweet face of my son, now four months old, squealing with delight in the bed next to me. (Noah loves it when we sing, no matter (apparently!) what the song :)  The three of us went to Joan's on 3rd for lunch and then on for cupcakes and coffee with Sean's parents at their place on the beach. Later, because we have a baby, we ended the day - not out on the town, but "in the comfort of our own home" ...   Though we did have champagne, ate a delicious dinner and watched a decent movie (The Town with Ben Affleck and the excellent Rebecka Hall).  Bringing me to the conclusion that at 32, life is still pretty good.








A vanilla cupcake from Joan's - possibly the best in L.A.
And yes, I did make a wish...:)

4 comments:

Kerri said...

i saw the town when i was on vacation in vermont- really liked it. love ben affleck these days. he's become such a good looking man as he gets older. (men are lucky like that!)

what a super fantastic bday gift it was to find out about noah!!!! he is adorable! and your dog is too!

Emelie - C'est LA vie said...

YES, I was thinking that too as I watched the film, (almost) preferring him to Jon Hamm!! :)

Heidi Bruch said...

Happy birthday, gorgeous! What a wonderful way to spend your day and I loved hearing about how you spent it last year! I really want to meet Noah! What a doll!

H.D.O. said...

That passport photo is to die for, I love it. He is such a cutie and so chill and you guys are such doting parents, it was so good to catch up. Had we known it was your birthday, we would've brought over Mimosas/Bloody Marys instead of coffee!

Related Posts with Thumbnails