Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Home Swede Home (part three)

They say that absence make the heart grow fonder, right? And as I count the years and conclude that it is now more than twelve years since I left Sweden for London to find new adventures (and as it turned out a husband :), I know this old saying to be very true. Obviously I loved my friends and home country before, but it was a different, taking-stuff-for-granted kind of love.

... I had just turned 20 when I left the small university town of Lund where I went to school, and at that point everything, anything! seemed more exciting and definitely cooler that boring old Sweden.
Now, I am a huge believer in travel for broadening one's mind and I am so grateful for having had the chance to live in world cities like London and L.A., Seattle for a short while and then Zurich (N.Y. and Paris are still on my wish-list :). The experiences I've had because I left have been amazing and though not always easy, I wouldn't trade them for anything. Most of all, (and I know this sounds cliched) I am grateful for the perspective it has given me on life as it relates to what really matters: Good friends, family and roots. That's it. Oh and clean air and water. I have a new level of appreciation for these things now, and feel so much happier because of it...
And if I didn't quite realise it before, I now know just how very special a place Sweden is [to me], the reasons being many... But just to mention a few; it's clean, beautiful and very safe. Swedes are, for the most part, healthy and wealthy, education is free (yet good) as is health care. The beaches are undeveloped and will remain that way thanks to a rather unique law stating that much of the natural landscape cannot be claimed by any single person but belongs to all. Sure, the winters are long and bitterly cold, but as a result, people have developed strong design sensibilities so indoor environments are usually gorgeous (and warm!). Almost everyone I know gets - and takes - at least five weeks of holiday per year, and don't even get me started on the awesomeness of the 12 + months of fully paid maternity/paternity leave available to those who work... Buses and trains arrive when they're supposed to, the food is fresh, the coffee good.

And for me it's -still - Home.







My favourite place on earth...

...with some of my favourite people (and the Baby jogger City mini which turned out to be the BEST travel stroller! )


A coffee date in Malmo with our friends Johan, Johanna and their little girls Vera & Thea.

Fresh seafood, good wine, gorgeous kids + a couple of my oldest and bestest friends = Good Times!

My brother and Noah are both born on Valentine's day. Awww :)

Noah with two of his great (and great:) aunts and cousin Isabel

Breakfast at my mum's house




Love them ♥


1 comment:

Asa said...

I hear ya! Lange leve Sverige!

Related Posts with Thumbnails